Brisbane Astronomical Society
COVID-19 Update. The Friday, August 7th monthly meeting has been cancelled.
Members-only telescope evenings conducted at Maleny and Ipswich and will recommence from July. See the Calendar of BAS Member Events on this website for specific details. The BAS Facebook Page will also provide updates on these events.
Our public Mt Coot-tha and School Night programs remain cancelled until further notice.
The Mission of Brisbane Astronomical Society is to create a friendly and mutually supportive community through sharing the wonders of the night sky.
Our activities include:
– To have regular information meetings.
– To have regular club stargazing meetings.
– To have regular public stargazing meetings.
– To educate school and community groups.
– To help others progress from interested individuals, to capable and knowledgeable astronomers.
– To assist with the creation of observing sites.
– To increase awareness and action around light pollution.
The Australasian Dark Sky Alliance (ADSA) is an independent non-profit organisation formed to:
– reduce the impact of light pollution on our nights skies, natural environment and human population
– educate the public and policymakers about night sky conservation
– promote environmentally responsible outdoor lighting
– assist in the designation of IDA Dark-Sky Places
– create dark-sky business opportunities
– celebrate our night sky heritage.