Monthly free telescope viewing at Maleny Golf Club
Do you live on the Sunshine Coast and have been wanting to know more about the fascinating cosmos above? Experience your first taste of astronomy by looking through one of our telescopes to view the night sky at our Public Viewing Nights. However, please be aware that if the clouds are rolling in these events may be cancelled on the day.
Come to the Maleny Golf Club for telescope viewing one Saturday evening each month. Our club members will show you the spectacular mountain ranges and craters on the Moon, star clusters, planets and other objects.
There is no charge or cost to take a look through our telescopes. However, if you would care to make a small donation to help support the operation of our program your assistance would be greatly appreciated.
We conduct these viewing nights when the Moon is close to first-quarter phase. This provides some fantastic viewing of the Moon’s craters while keeping the sky just dark enough to also observe a few other bright deep-sky objects. To find the next viewing date just check the Event Calendar on this page and look for “Sunshine Coast – Public Viewing Night”.
Viewing begins at sundown. This event is weather permitting, but as long as it is not raining or overcast and you can see the Moon, we’ll be there. Please check the event calendar for monthly dates and for any changes. You can also keep up to date by following our Sunshine Coast Group Facebook page.
- Turn off the main thoroughfare onto Teak Street (if coming from the east turn right after the Woolworths, if coming from the west turn left after the IGA)
- Teak Street will turn into North Maleny Road. Follow this until the end where you will meet a round about
- Turn right at the round about onto Obi Lane
- Follow Obi Lane and it will make a hard right turn into Porters Lane
- The Golf Club will be on your left (picture of Golf Club entrance below)